We have assembled the largest Cheese packaging technical FAQ library in the world. Written by a team of experts to help you find the most innovative Cheese packaging solution in the market.
Sign up to get access to the private area
Product Information FAQs
Find the best cheese product packaging Answers
A wide range of machines: flow pack horizontal machines, vertical form fill and seal machines, multi-head weighing systems and loading systems that produce aesthetically appealing and robust packages that are ideal also for products having different shapes and dimensions.
Cheese Packaging Primer
Depending on the origin of the milk or cream, cheese can be classified as deriving from cow milk, sheep milk, goat milk and buffalo milk. An indispensable food of ancient origins, cheese is heavily characterised by the territory it comes from: flavour, appearance, and characteristics in fact change not only according to the different types of processing, but especially depending on the geographical origins, on the climate and on how the product is matured.
Cheese packaging is closely linked to the type of product and how it should be eaten
To better understand the different types of packaging for cheese, it is necessary to classify the products in seven main categories:
- Wheels or half-wheel cheese
- Cheese sold in slabs, also known as portioned fresh and mature cheese
- Cheese squares
- Sliced cheese
- Soft and creamy cheese
- Grated and diced
- Cheese preserved in its liquid, mozzarella
Different packaging, common needs
Cheese is packaged in different ways, depending on the country and on how developed the country is, as well as how the product is eaten.
Different types of cheese require different types of packaging:
- flexible flow wrap packages made using horizontal flow wrappers or vertical form fill and seal machines that use barrier film, shrink or BDF films;
- packages cut around the product, thermo-formed trays made using thermo- forming machines;
- vacuum packaging;
- M.A.P. packaging system (Modified Atmosphere Packaging);
- different types of re-closable packages.
Regardless of the numerous applications, a series of requirements must be complied with when packaging cheese in order to maintain all the original organoleptic, physical, aromatic and flavour characteristics of the fresh product:
- removal of superficial dryness
- slowing down the growth of altering fungi, which can be summarized in:
- moulds for hard or aged cheese
- yeasts for hard or aged cheese
- limitation of oxidation of the fat matter
- removal of swelling during preservation and due to the production of CO2 by the cheese
- structure preservation (especially for soft, spongy and holed products)
- preservation of surface mould, which must be in good conditions
Cheese: what should the package guarantee?
The chosen packaging system must always guarantee:
- that the product can be transported
- that the product can be printed (weight, price, code, production and expiry dates, etc.)
PFM are a leader in cheese packaging
With over 3,000 horizontal flow-wrapping machines, vertical form fill and seal machines and multi-head weighing systems sold all over the world, PFM are a leader in the packaging of fresh and aged cheese, even in M.A.P. (Modified Atmosphere).
The benefits of flow-packing cheese in flexible packages
The benefits offered by flow packing applied to the cheese sector can be summarized in:
- Increased flexibility. Compared to other systems, flow-pack machines allow changing the format quickly (2-3 minutes) without having to change any mechanical component, mould or others.
- Very high packaging speed: PFM flow-pack machines can produce up to 140 packs of cheese per minute (depending on the size of the product) in modified atmosphere.
- Lower packaging film costs: PFM flow-packing machines make 3-seal closed packages starting from a single reel of flat film having a minimum thickness of 30 microns.
- Longer product shelf-life: the flow-pack system, together with the application of modified atmosphere, guarantees a longer product shelf-life, thanks to the injection of inert gases and to the top film and seal resistance.
- Easier cleaning operations: PFM flow-pack machines have a cantilever structure. This particular construction system allows a strict partition between the front and the back parts of the machine. On the front part there are only the sealing units and the product handling units. On the back of the machine, in separated and protected environments, there are the mechanical and electronic components. All this ensures that the machine can be quickly and safely sanitized, which is an indispensable characteristic for any machine that packages cheese in modified atmosphere.
- Functional and aesthetically appealing packages. PFM packaging machines cater for the production of the following packages:
- Three seals with central seal
- Three seals with side seal
- Three seals with zip
- Three seals with Pocket Bag system and reclosable flap (using adhesive strip)
- Square bottom bags, also with 4 seals and zip.
Ask us about Cheese packaging. We can help, promise.
We really want to help you. Our Company, PFM has a wide range of dedicated cutting and wrapping lines for the cheese packaging sector. We can develop custom-designed, innovative solutions, including automatic lines. We provide a wide rage of cheese Flow Wrap packaging machinerySign Up